Forum Archive :
Fun and frustration
Ten commandments of backgammon
a few weeks back Daniel Murphy posted an article mentioning "De 10 Bud
i Backgammon", an article from the Norwegian Backgammon Federation's
after reading it I asked myself whether there was an English version
available, but I could not find any. none of the large Backgammon
sites have it, and I couldn't find it through the major search
therefore I sat down today and made a little version of my own. my
skills of KJV style English are limited, so I post it here so people
can give me suggestions as to how it should sound. you can also
access an HTML-version of it through my website, the direct URL is
The 10 Commandments of Backgammon
1. Thou shalt have no other games before me.
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee an image of me being a simple,
accidental or tiresome game. For I let punishment for thy sins
come unto thee in thy third or fourth tournament of them that hate
me, and shewing mercy in thousands of tournaments of them that love
me, and keep my commandments.
3. Thou shalt not misuse thy cube, for the dice will not hold him
guiltless that doubles early.
4. Remember the tournament day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou
read thy theory, and play for money. But the seventh day is the
tournament day. Then shalt thou play not for money, but for honour
5. Honour thy club and thy federation, that thy days of playing upon
the land be many.
6. Thou shalt not roll 5-2.
7. Thou shalt not break thy prime.
8. Thou shalt not steal pips.
9. Thou shalt not play with false dice.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy opponent's board. Thou shalt not covet
thy opponent's prime, nor his advanced anchor, nor his rolls of
the dice, nor any thing that is thy opponent's.
Based upon "De 10 Bud i Backgammon" as written in Norpunkt #7,
December 1994. Other sources of information has been my dictionary,
and the KJV Bible, Exodus 20:1-17.
"God does not deduct from our alloted life span
the time spent playing backgammon."
--> Morty on FIBS
--> Backgammon homepage: http://home.sn.no/~warnckew/gammon/
Fun and frustration
- A game brings you money (Michael J. Zehr, Feb 1996)
- A story from my youth (neilkaz, Aug 2008)
- Backgammon at 50 (Mary Hickey, July 2005)
- Backgammon by mail (MelRae, Aug 1997)
- Backgammon haikus (Phil Simborg, July 2004)
- Backgammon hustler (Socks, Apr 2004)
- Backgammon laws (Walt Swan, Dec 1999)
- Beginner's luck (Paul Tanenbaum, May 1999)
- Characters we all know (Alan Webb, Feb 1999)
- Choking under pressure (Kevin Bastian, Dec 1997)
- Danish Championship semifinal match (Daniel Murphy+, Nov 2004)
- Don't come looking for sympathy ... (Ian Shaw, Nov 2004)
- "Good roll!" (jfk+, Jan 1998)
- Hard luck story contest (Einar Tryggvason, Apr 1996)
- "I resign" (neilkaz, June 2011)
- Lonely checker's lament (Luvrhino+, Aug 2001)
- Losing streaks (Stanley E. Richards+, June 2006)
- Losing streaks (Leo Bueno+, Nov 1999)
- Losing streaks (Jim Peplow, July 1998)
- New Year's resolutions (Alan Webb, Jan 2000)
- One-liners (scuba, Jan 2007)
- Simborg's laws of backgammon (NYCGuy, June 1997)
- Some learning humor (Daniel Murphy, Aug 2011)
- Ten commandments of backgammon (Morten Wang, Nov 1997)
- The square thing (David B. Sandler, June 1996)
- Translation fun (James Eibisch, Feb 1998)
- What are the chances? (Pete+, Mar 2003)
- Wishing good luck (Michel Tarragnat, Apr 2005)