Forum Archive :
I have just written a review of Play65.com. You can read it
This review will be useful if you are considering playing
online at Play65.com (or GammonEmpire.com, which is basically
the same thing).
Play65 offers online play for fun or for real money. They
advertise on my backgammon site, but I have tried to keep the
review as objective as possible.
Tom, thanks for the review. Just a few questions:
* Are a series of "single" games recordable as a "session" for unified
analysis? I find this feature very useful as an evaluation tool.
* Can you change the graphical appearance of the board, checkers,
dice, i.e. colors, visual effects, etc.? I find the look shown very
natural, but also boring (much like about women, if you get me...).
* Can you change the playing direction? I find this feature pretty
useless, but anyway...
* Can you chat with your opponent? with the players being watched?
I'm not chatty at all, but from time to time I feel compelled to laugh
a bit at what I see...
Tom Keith writes:
> Are a series of "single" games recordable as a "session"?
Each game is saved in a separate file. If you want GnuBG to analyze
them in one unit, you have to copy and paste the files together.
> Can you change the graphical appearance of the board?
> Can you change the playing direction?
> Can you chat with your opponent? with the players being watched?
Yes, you can chat with your opponent and with watchers, but there's no
chat in the lobby.
Nice review. I would like to add a pro and a couple of cons for the
benefit of new players to Ply65.
You said that when you withdrew $20 it appeared in your Paypal account
in two and a half days. I think the timeframe for their withdrawals is
very poor. I have deposited money several times from my Neteller
account and it goes into my Play65 account almost immediately (it only
takes about 5 seconds). But when i make a withdrawal to my Neteller
account it takes four full days to appear every single time. This is far
too long considering other online gaming sites such as PartyPoker only
take an hour or so to credit my withdrawal back into my Neteller
The board view is 3D with larger pieces closer to your side and
smaller pieces on the other side (like looking across into the
distance). It shouldn't be too difficult to give an option of a 2D
board to play on, such as a Fibs view or a Jellyfish view (or even a
birds eye view come to think of it).
If you refer the site to a friend and they sign up then they receive a
free $20 and you receive a free $10 credited to your account when they
make an initial deposit, so if any of your friends are considering
joining then take advantage of this bonus.
And then there is the problem of the random dice generator which
always gives my opponent the exact numbers they need to hit me with a
fly shot and cover the blot in their home board - but i'll leave that
story for another time when im broke and destitute.
- Arkadium (Michael Volpatt, Oct 2003)
- BG Room (Stanley E. Richards+, Oct 2007)
- Backgammon4Money--Announcement (Will Edison, Dec 2001)
- Best value (Kenny Lee Smith+, June 1998)
- Club Games (Ashton Haze, Sept 2005)
- Club Games (Tomawaky+, May 2005)
- Comparison of rakes (Raccoon, Dec 2006)
- Comparison of rakes (Raccoon, July 2006)
- Comparison of rakes (Hank Youngerman+, Oct 2005)
- Comparison of rakes (Daniel, Aug 2005)
- DailyGammon (Dan Wittkopp+, July 2004)
- DailyGammon (Scott Steiner+, Apr 2004)
- DailyGammon (Phil Vanicek, May 2001)
- FIBS vs. GamesGrid (Bob Stringer, May 2000)
- FIBS--Financial support (Kit Woolsey, Aug 1997)
- FIBS--Original announcement (Andreas Schneider, July 1992)
- FIBS--Top Tournament Performers (Osman Guner, July 2003)
- FIBS--Your worst fears (Richard Greenberg, Nov 1995)
- Fair Backgammon (info, May 2006)
- Free online tournaments (Ricardo Hui+, Mar 2009)
- Friendly play site (Ian Dunstan+, Feb 2006)
- GameDesire (Maciej Mróz, Sept 2004)
- GameSite2000--Announcment (GameSite 2000, Jan 2000)
- Games4Dollars (Info Team, Apr 2004)
- GamesGrid vs FIBS (Jim Cochrane, Jan 1999)
- GamesGrid--Announcement (CyberArts Inc., June 1996)
- GamesGrid--Comparison to FIBS (Ken Arnold, May 1997)
- GamesGrid--Second version (Ken Arnold, Sept 1996)
- GamesGrid--Update (Ken Arnold, Mar 1998)
- Gammon Empire--Announcement (Jerry, Nov 2004)
- Gammon11 (sirkaber, May 2006)
- HigherGames--Announcement (Michael Gilbert, Dec 2003)
- ItsYourTurn--Announcement (Tom Buhrman, Sept 1999)
- Ladbrokes.com (mccm1976, May 2006)
- Link to review of play sites (cindybel+, May 2006)
- MSN Gaming Zone--Overall experience (Mark Ferrante+, Nov 1997)
- MSN Gaming Zone--Thoughts (Gregg Cattanach, Dec 1998)
- MoneyGaming.com (max+, July 2005)
- NOBS (Lou Poppler+, Aug 1996)
- Overview (chinaski+, June 2008)
- Overview (Alan Webb, Jan 1999)
- PiranhaGammon (Piranha, Dec 2007)
- Play site wish list (Perry Gartner+, Dec 2012)
- Play65/GammonEmpire (Butch Meese+, July 2005)
- Play65/GammonEmpire (Daniel Murphy+, Dec 2004)
- Play65/GammonEmpire vs. TrueMoneyGames (oneprime+, Feb 2005)
- Play65/GammonEmpire--Are they the same? (Tony Yarwood+, Aug 2005)
- Play65/GammonEmpire--Review (Tom Keith+, Sept 2005)
- Play65/GammonEmpire--Withdrawal symptoms (David Warmind+, May 2007)
- Play65/GammonEmpire--Withdrawal symptoms (Erik Sorensen+, Apr 2007)
- Playmaker World--Announcement (Michael Crane, Nov 2001)
- Playsite--Announcement (Seth Tapper, Mar 1997)
- Ratings comparison (Daniel Murphy, Aug 1999)
- Richard's Play-by-E-mail Server (Richard Rognlie, May 1997)
- TrueMoneygames--Announcement (TrueMoneygames Info, Apr 2002)
- VOG (Glenn+, Feb 2000)
- Where to play for money (mginat+, May 2006)
- Where to play for money (Victor Zanfer+, Apr 2005)
- Yahoo Games (Steve Fiete+, Mar 1998)
- Yahoo Games--Ratings (Neil GoBlu+, July 2000)
- melBG--Announcement (David Kinston, Dec 2000)