Forum Archive :
I have never frequented this news group before but thought I might
find the information I am looking for.
I am planning to build my own backgammon board. I did this over 20
years ago while in college at the University of Michigan, and left the
board/set with a friend that I always played backgammon with. I want
to create a similar board with the same feel as that first one.
My question is this, can anyone recommend a source for quality game
pieces? If I remember correctly, I obtained the pieces I had in that
first set from a game store at Water Tower Place in Chicago. I find
no game stores there now from their internet listing.
The pieces I had before were about 1-3/4" in diameter and about 3/8"
thick. They were made of a real stone I believe, possibly an onyx.
That is the part I liked the best about them, that they had some heft
to them. A nice, solid feel. The set I had then was red and white.
The red had a marbled appearance. I would like to make this new set
red and white as well.
Does any one know of a source for quality blots like these?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Brandon Wiant writes:
I make custom stone backgammon pieces.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to place custom orders.
- Bakelite checkers (Albert Steg, Nov 1998)
- Board design (Chuck Bower, Feb 2004)
- Board design (Adam Stocks, July 2002)
- Board design (Gregg Cattanach, Dec 2000)
- Board design (Michael Poche+, Dec 1998)
- Board design (Albert Steg, Jan 1998)
- Boards (Bert Van Kerckhove+, Aug 2002)
- Boards--Custom-made (N Merrigan, Mar 2003)
- Boards--Dal Negro (Erin+, Jan 2004)
- Boards--Features to look for (Matthew Mueller+, Dec 2000)
- Boards--Hardwood Creations (Ben Fairbank, May 1998)
- Boards--Tak Morioka (Gregg Cattanach, Feb 2002)
- Boards--Tak Morioka (Ed Zell, Jan 1999)
- Boards--Zavoral (Robert Zavoral, Oct 1999)
- Buying a tournament board (Chuck Bower, June 2011)
- Care of backgammon boards (Ken Bame+, Mar 2009)
- Checkers (Mike O.+, Feb 2003)
- Checkers (Chuck Bower, Nov 1997)
- Dice (Gregg Cattanach, July 2004)
- Dice cups (David Montgomery, Nov 1999)
- Dice cups (Leo Bueno, Feb 1998)
- How much to spend on a board? (Ian Shaw, Apr 2004)
- Leather boards (HGM+, Dec 1999)
- Luxury boards (Paul Vianna+, Feb 2010)
- Meyer Dice Tube issues (Stick+, July 2010)
- Meyer Dice Tube usage (Justin Nunez+, Feb 2011)
- Meyer Dice Tube--Why I hate it (Bob Glass+, Dec 2010)
- Moderately priced boards (William Womack+, Feb 2010)
- Precision dice (Patti Beadles+, Jan 2001)
- Precision dice (Larry Strommen, Feb 1998)
- Precision dice (Chuck Bower+, Feb 1998)
- Replacing cork on backgammon boards (JP White, Apr 2003)
- Suppliers--BG Shop (Michael Nelson, Jan 2002)
- Suppliers--Backgammon boards (CKT, July 2004)
- Suppliers--Backgammon boards (Ian Shaw+, June 2002)
- Suppliers--Where to buy dice (Andrew B.+, Jan 2008)
- Suppliers--Yenigun (yenigun, Sept 2005)
- What finish to use on a cork board? (JP White+, Apr 2003)
- What is "standard size"? (Daniel Murphy, Mar 2001)
- What is "tournament size"? (Rodrigo Andrade+, July 1999)
- Woodworking--Finishing a board (M Moore+, Jan 2008)